Thursday, November 17, 2011

Declutter Along!


One way I define a successful SAHM is the state of her house.  It doesn’t have to be spotless, but it does need to make her family feel safe, comfortable and happy.  

My house isn’t the worst.  (Ever seen that TV show Clean House?)  I’m not afraid to let my 18 month old run around freely, but neither my husband nor I feel comforted or cheered by out surroundings.  And let’s just say that I’m glad we never have company over.  Certain rooms even overwhelm me when I spend too much time in them. 


This is now how I want to live.  I love to entertain and want to be able to host play-dates, group cooking sessions, and other fun little get-togethers. 

But my BIGGEST motivation to declutter and get organized?  We’ll be moving to a new city 40 miles away in just 10 short weeks.  In normal moving time, two and  a half months is a long time, but we’re not talking normal moving time.  We’re talking doing this 85% on my own with two small children underfoot while pregnant with twins.  That’s right, folks, on moving day I’ll be approximately 30 weeks pregnant with twins!  The only help I’m counting on is to actually do all the lifting and moving on moving day and my mother-in-law and a generous friend have volunteered to help with the actual packing during the month of January. 

My goal is to have as little as possible to pack and unpack.  I want to do as much as I can to keep these little buns baking and be fully unpacked and settled in time for their arrival.  I have a long ways to go.  As my husband says, I have a lot of “stuff.”  


What is my plan of attack?  I’m 19 weeks with twins and have two small children….there will be no marathon cleaning/decluttering/packing sessions in this house!


Do you know how to eat an elephant?  One. Bite. At. A. Time.

Now that I have the day-to-day stuff like laundry and dishes down to a system, I’m going to start decluttering the easiest to maintain rooms first.  I’ve chosen to start with the master bedroom.  It sees the least amount of traffic from little hands and feet that unintentionally destroy all of my hard work.  And I’m going to tackle it 15 minutes at a time.


Feel free to Declutter Along!

No comments:

Post a Comment