Wednesday, November 16, 2011

We've All Been There...


One morning we wake up and we’re overwhelmed before our feet even hit the floor.  Our house is a mess, the kids are hungry, we didn't sleep well and we’re beyond stressed out and it’s not even 9AM.

                Does any part of that sound like you?  

I spent months in that state and it was draining to say the least.  I found myself doing only what had to be done to get by.  My kids, my marriage, and mostly my self-worth were suffering because of it.  Most days I didn't even get dressed until it was time to go to my evening-shift serving job.  Even that was done grudgingly.  Adding to the chaos, we had just found we were expecting Baby #3…..and #4.  We had no idea how we were going to afford four kids (four and under, I might add) on our crappy restaurant-job pay.  Or how we were going to care for two newborns and the other two while working opposite shifts and already being stretched beyond anything even resembling healthy limits.

I started dreaming of becoming a SAHM.  I’d done it twice before, only briefly between jobs, and I had hated every second of it.  This time was different.  I was really sick during the first weeks of this pregnancy and physically could not handle serving and bartending anymore.  I couldn’t even fathom going back to a 9-to-5 job, let alone afford the childcare costs.  And, I had this crazy idea that this little home business I had started could grow to be a decent second income if only I could put more time and focus into it.  All I really needed was for my husband to find a “good” job…there was no way I could quit mine with him working 25 hours a week for minimum wage.

Then it happened…he got “the job,” the one he’d been after for months to no avail.  The interview and offer came out of the blue.  He took it blindly, not even sure what his pay would be or what the job would entail.  All we knew was that the pay should be just barely enough that we could make the leap to being a single-income family.

So, I did it…I quit my job to hopefully become a WAHM!

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment